SHAREHOLIC
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Urdu Tehzeb, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.

+ Reply to Thread
    + Post New Thread

Thread: How do restaurant owners feel when someone only orders the cheapest item on the menu?

The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it. Admin CaLmInG MeLoDy's Avatar
      Threads
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,367 Times in 868 Posts
      Mentioned
      1038 Post(s)
      Tagged
      7966 Thread(s)

How do restaurant owners feel when someone only orders the cheapest item on the menu?

I was working at a high end restaurant, it was Saturday afternoon towards the end of my shift and I had plans for Saturday night. I was ready to close out my tables and get home.

A man came in alone, mid thirties, sat at a table for four facing the ocean. He was in a t-shirt, khaki shorts, and sandals. I had the option of giving up the table to finish my shift and go home but I figured he would be low maintenance, probably only be there for 20 minutes and even if he just ordered a salad and a water I would still make a quick easy 5 bucks.

He sat, he ordered an app and a water. Easy peazy.

A friend joined him. They ordered a couple cocktails off of the list and another app.

A professionally dressed woman joined them. They ordered a few more cocktails and a couple more apps.

Then some good news came through, he had just closed on his multi-million dollar house down the street. (I was working at a restaurant on a very expensive island off the coast of South Florida).

The woman who joined them was his Realtor.

To celebrate, they ordered a $3,500 bottle of Bordeaux.

They stayed. They drank. They ordered about $800 worth of lobster, stone claws, and steak.

The bill came to $4,500. He tipped me $2,000 and raved about my service to anyone who would listen.

Since he now had a place down the street, he came in often. He would ask for me every time. Every visit after his first appearance he spent about $30. He would order one cocktail and a half portion of his favorite pasta dish (which we didn’t offer, but tip me $2k once and I’ll find a way). He would tip 20% on his credit card and leave me $50 in cash if he was alone or $100 if he brought a guest.

Any body in a seat is a good body. Someone sitting down to spend $5 or $10 is better than an empty seat.

You never know who that person is or what their value will be over time. Treat everyone like they’re a big spender.

Even if they don’t have the money to be there, they’re splitting an entree and having water, but they wanted to celebrate something in a nice location. Maybe they’ve saved to spend an anniversary or birthday there. Give them the best experience of their life.

Forum Manager Forum_Manager_Female Aliza's Avatar
      Threads
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,372 Times in 1,055 Posts
      Mentioned
      395 Post(s)
      Tagged
      7 Thread(s)

Re: How do restaurant owners feel when someone only orders the cheapest item on the menu?

Quote Originally Posted by CaLmInG MeLoDy View Post
      I was working at a high end restaurant, it was Saturday afternoon towards the end of my shift and I had plans for Saturday night. I was ready to close out my tables and get home.

A man came in alone, mid thirties, sat at a table for four facing the ocean. He was in a t-shirt, khaki shorts, and sandals. I had the option of giving up the table to finish my shift and go home but I figured he would be low maintenance, probably only be there for 20 minutes and even if he just ordered a salad and a water I would still make a quick easy 5 bucks.

He sat, he ordered an app and a water. Easy peazy.

A friend joined him. They ordered a couple cocktails off of the list and another app.

A professionally dressed woman joined them. They ordered a few more cocktails and a couple more apps.

Then some good news came through, he had just closed on his multi-million dollar house down the street. (I was working at a restaurant on a very expensive island off the coast of South Florida).

The woman who joined them was his Realtor.

To celebrate, they ordered a $3,500 bottle of Bordeaux.

They stayed. They drank. They ordered about $800 worth of lobster, stone claws, and steak.

The bill came to $4,500. He tipped me $2,000 and raved about my service to anyone who would listen.

Since he now had a place down the street, he came in often. He would ask for me every time. Every visit after his first appearance he spent about $30. He would order one cocktail and a half portion of his favorite pasta dish (which we didn’t offer, but tip me $2k once and I’ll find a way). He would tip 20% on his credit card and leave me $50 in cash if he was alone or $100 if he brought a guest.

Any body in a seat is a good body. Someone sitting down to spend $5 or $10 is better than an empty seat.

You never know who that person is or what their value will be over time. Treat everyone like they’re a big spender.

Even if they don’t have the money to be there, they’re splitting an entree and having water, but they wanted to celebrate something in a nice location. Maybe they’ve saved to spend an anniversary or birthday there. Give them the best experience of their life.
      Beautiful n great one

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aliza For This Useful Post:

Jelly Bean (04-28-2018)

+ Reply to Thread
    + Post New Thread

Thread Information