Gifting The Reward of Doing The Tawaf to Someone
Question#70

A woman asks: When I was in Mecca al-Mukarramah, I received news that a relative of mine had died; So I performed the tawaf for her - seven times around the Ka'bah - and made the intention for her (to receive the reward). Is this permissible?

Yes, it is permissible for you to perform the tawaf - seven times - and render the reward for whoever you wish from the Muslims; This is what is common from the madhhab of Imam Ahmad; That any act of worship a Muslim performs and gifts its reward for (another) Muslim, dead or alive, then that will benefit him whether it be (a) wholly physical (act of worship) such as the salah and the tawaf or (a) wholly monetary (act of worship) such as sadaqah (donating), or a combination of the two such as offering a sacrifice.

However, it is befitting to know that which is best for a person is to render noble acts (of worship) for himself and (instead) to restrict himself to supplicating for whoever he wishes from the Muslims; That is because this is the guidance given to us by the Prophet (peace be upon him) in his statement:

((If someone dies his actions come to a standstill, except for three: Recurring charity (he has made), or knowledge which he has benefited (others) with, or a righteous son who prays for him)), [from the hadith of Abu Hurayrah as transmitted by Muslim, ref.4199]

--
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymin
ad-Durar an-Nadhirah fil-Fatawa al-Mu'asirah - Page 453
Ibn 'Uthaymin - ad-Da'wah 1587, Dhul-Hijjah 1417AH

Performing Additional Voluntary Hajj on Behalf of My Mother
Question#71

My mother performed the Hajj seven times, so is it permissible for me myself to perform (another) hajj on her behalf?

Yes, it is permissible for you to perform (another) hajj on her behalf - an eighth hajj or more - and this is from kindness (and honoring) towards her, and there is great reward in that for you if you have (already) performed the (obligatory) hajj for yourself.

--
Shaykh Ibn Baz
Majmu' Fatawa wa Rasa'il 'Abdul-'Aziz ibn Baz - Volume 16, Page 405

Paying People to Perform voluntary Hajj on Behalf of Myself And My Parents
Question#72

My financial status is very comfortable, and all praise is due to Allah (alone), therefore last year I paid three men to perform the (voluntary) Hajj on behalf of myself, my father and my mother; Keeping in mind that I have already performed (my obligatory) Hajj, I intend to continue to pay three men to perform the (voluntary) Hajj on behalf of myself, my father and my mother, so long as I am alive, so is there any religious prohibition in this?

May Allah reward you with good. This (action of yours) is indicative of your keenness to do good. So long as you (yourself) have performed that which is obligatory upon you and you wish to do good for yourself and your parents then it would be better if you spent this money on those who were needy from amongst the poor.

--
Shaykh Sailh ibn Fowzan
al-Muntaqa min Fatawa Shaykh Salih al-Fowzan - Volume 3, Page 184, Fatwa No.279

Seeking Financial Gain By Performing Hajj on Behalf of Someone Else
Question#73

Is it permissible for a person to perform the obligation of the Hajj on behalf of someone else who is financially and physically able (to perform the Hajj himself) in exchange for money?

Whoever is able to perform the obligation of the Hajj himself, then it is not permissible for him to appoint someone else to perform the Hajj on his behalf, and he will not be rewarded for it (by Allah) if he does so. As for the one who is unable to perform the Hajj himself due to a condition which permanently prevents him from doing so, then it is permissible for him to appoint someone else to perform the Hajj on his behalf. And there is no harm in him taking money (for performing the Hajj) if he intends by it to use it for the Hajj, and not intending (to seek) any financial enjoyment (benefit) (by undertaking the performance of the Hajj). And we have a rule which some of the scholars use which has been extracted from the authentic evidences, that being:

Whoever (makes the intention to) perform the Hajj to seek financial gain, then he should not perform the Hajj. And whoever takes money in order to perform the Hajj, then he should (go ahead and) perform the Hajj. [Majmu' al-Fatawa of Ibn Taymiyyah - volume 26, page 19]

...and the meaning of this is, whoever uses money as a means to perform the Hajj, then there is no harm in that, and (but) whoever uses the (performance of the) Hajj as a means to earn money then that is not permissible.

--
Shaykh Sailh ibn Fowzan
al-Muntaqa min Fatawa Shaykh Salih al-Fowzan - Volume 3, Page 190, Fatwa No.291

That Which Benefits The Deceased By Way of The Living
Question#74

What are the things which benefit the deceased by way of the living? And is there a difference between physical and non-physical acts of worship? We hope you will clarify these issues for us, and outline a rule which we could refer to whenever we come across issues such as these; (Please) provide us with a fatwa, and may Allah grant you blessings (in your affairs)?

The deceased benefits from the action(s) of the living by way of that which (authentic) evidence indicates (permissibility) - from supplication (for the deceased), and the seeking of forgiveness for him (the deceased) and giving in charity on his (the deceased's) behalf and (performing) the Hajj and the 'Umrah on his behalf and paying off his debts and executing his Islamic will; All of these have been legislated for. And some of the scholars have attached to this all acts of worship which a Muslim does deeming their reward for (another) Muslim who is alive or dead. However, that which is correct is to limit (oneself) to that which (authentic) evidence indicates (permissibility) as this will be in accordance with His saying:

{And that man can have nothing but what he does (good or bad)}, [Surah an-Najm, Ayah 39]

...and Allah is the most knowledgeable (of all affairs).

--
Shaykh Sailh ibn Fowzan
al-Muntaqa min Fatawa Shaykh Salih al-Fowzan - Volume 2, Page 161, Fatwa No.139

Performing The Hajj or The 'Umrah on Behalf of My Parents Who Are Alive
Question#75

Is it permissible for a Muslim to perform the Hajj or the 'Umrah on behalf of his parents while they are still alive?

There is (some) explanation (required) in this issue:

As for the obligatory Hajj and the obligatory 'Umrah, then it is not permissible to appoint anyone on their behalf, unless there is something permanent preventing them from performing the Hajj or the 'Umrah, such as the one who is suffering from a prolonged illness as a result of which he is unable to travel for the Hajj to perform the rites of Hajj, or the one who is elderly (and) senile, based upon the hadith of the woman who said to the Prophet (peace be upon him) that it has become incumbent upon her father to perform the obligatory Hajj , however he is unable to travel, "so should I perform the Hajj on his behalf?" The Prophet (peace be upon him) said to her:

((Perform the Hajj on behalf of your father)), [Transmitted by Abu Dawud and at-Tirmidhi]

As for the voluntary Hajj, then the issue is quite open, so there is no harm in him performing the Hajj on his (parents) behalf, even if (t)he(y) was (were) able (to do so themselves), (and) this is the opinion of a group of scholars.

--
Shaykh Sailh ibn Fowzan
al-Muntaqa min Fatawa Shaykh Salih al-Fowzan - Volume 5, Page 160, Fatwa No.239

Performing 'Umrah on Behalf of The Deceased
Question#76

I made the intention to perform the 'Umrah for my eldest brother since he has passed away, so I want to know, is this act from the religious acts which (whose reward) will reach the deceased?

Yes, because this is something good, (that being) you performing the 'Umrah on behalf of your deceased brother whether it be the obligatory ('Umrah) or the recommended (voluntary) ('Umrah) - so this is a great act; However, (the permissibility of this is) based upon the condition that you have already performed the obligatory 'Umrah for yourself first, and Allah is the Most Knowledgeable.

Shaykh Sailh ibn Fowzan
al-Muntaqa min Fatawa Shaykh Salih al-Fowzan - Volume 5, Page 160, Fatwa No.240

Performing Hajj on Behalf of a Paralytic Son
Question#77

I have a paralytic son, and am thinking about him doing hajj, because if he was to do the hajj himself, then I fear that he will suffer harm. So is it permissible for me to do the hajj on his behalf?

If the son is (indeed) paralytic as you say, then it is permissible for you to do the obligatory hajj on his behalf if you have already done the hajj for yourself.

--
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymin
Liqaa.aat al-Bab al-Maftuh â€" Volume 1, Page 45, Number 67

Performing Another 'Umrah Having Just Done So Already
Question#78

A man performed the 'Umrah - and after completing it, went to Taif to do something. After completing what he had to do (in Taif) he wanted to perform 'Umrah for a deceased (person), so is this permissible?

There is no harm for him to do this. If a person performs 'Umrah, then leaves Mecca to go to Taif or Jeddah for (some) reason, (and while there) it occurs to him to do 'Umrah for a deceased (person), then there is no harm in that, even if he repeated this â€" there is no prohibition. That which is forbidden is to remain in Mecca, and then depart to at-Tan'im (Masjid 'Aishah) so as to return to Mecca to do another 'Umrah. This is what is forbidden.

--
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymin
Liqa'at al-Bab al-Maftuh â€" Volume 1, Page 51, Number 86

Performed Hajj for Deceased Mother But Not For Deceased Father
Question#79

I performed Hajj on behalf of my mother after her death, and did not perform Hajj for my father after his death. So is there any sin upon me for having left off performing Hajj for my father?

There is no sin upon you for having left off performing Hajj for your father. This is because it is not obligatory upon you to perform Hajj on his behalf. However, from honoring and being good (to your father) is to perform Hajj on his behalf, as this is incorporated in the general statement of ihsan (doing good) which Allah has commanded in His saying:

{And be dutiful to your parents}, [Surah al-Isra., Ayah 23].

And with Allah lies all success and may Allah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (peace be upon him) and his family and his companions.

--
The Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Fatawa, comprising -
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul-'Aziz ibn 'Abdullah ibn Baz;
Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaq 'Afifi;
Member: Shaykh' Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullah ibn Qu'ud
Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Daimah lil-Buhuth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Ifta. - Volume 11, Page 54, Fatwa No.1753

I Do Not Know Whether Deceased Grandparents Had Performed The Hajj
Question#80

My grandparents (both) from my father and my mother have died and I do not know whether they had fulfilled the(ir) obligation of performing Hajj or not. So is it upon me to entrust someone to perform Hajj on their behalf?

It is legislated for you to entrust someone to perform Hajj on behalf of every single one of them, so long as the one who is to perform Hajj on behalf of every single one of them has (already) previously performed Hajj for himself and that he is noble and trustworthy. And with Allah lies all success and may Allah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (peace be upon him) and his family and his companions.

--
Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Daimah lil-Buhuth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Ifta. - Volume 11, Page 107, Question 12 of Fatwa No.6505

Performing Hajj on Behalf of Mother Who Never Prayed
Question#81

Is it permissible for a daughter to perform Hajj and give in charity on behalf of her deceased mother, knowing that the mother did not pray during her life. What is the legal ruling in this, knowing that this daughter upholds that which is Islamically required of her from the pillars of Islam?

Whoever intentionally leaves off praying because he does not think it is obligatory, then he has committed kufr according to the consensus of the Scholars. And whoever leaves off praying due to laziness and neglect, then he has (also) committed kufr according to the majority of the two opinions of the Scholars, due to the saying of the Prophet (peace be upon him):
((The covenant that is between us and them [the disbelievers] is the prayer. Whoever abandons it has committed kufr)) in addition to other evidences from the Qur'an and the Sunnah in this matter. So based upon this, it is not permissible to perform Hajj nor to give in charity on behalf of anyone who has died and did not used to pray, just as one cannot perform Hajj nor give in charity on behalf of any of the kuffar. And with Allah lies all success and may Allah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (peace be upon him) and his family and his companions.

--
Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Daimah lil-Buhuth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Ifta. - Volume 11, Page 113, Question 2 of Fatwa No.6178

While Making Hajj for His Mother, Forgot to Pronounce The Intention for Her
Question#82

What is the ruling concerning the one who performed Hajj on behalf of his mother and at the miqat he pronounced the talbiyah for the Hajj and did not do so for his mother?

As long as his intention was for the Hajj on behalf of his mother, even if he forgot, the Hajj is (acceptable) for his mother since the intention is a stronger (argument), for that which the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: ((Actions are but by intention)). So if the intention in his coming was for Hajj on behalf of his mother or father and he then forgot when he entered the state of ihram, the Hajj is (acceptable) for whoever he had intended it for, either his mother, father or other than them.

--
Shaykh Ibn Baz
Majmu' Fatawa Samahatu ash-Shaykh Ibn Baz - Volume 6, Page 116, Fatwa No.74

Wishes to Change the Intention for The Hajj While in 'Arafah
Question#83

A man made the intention to perform the Hajj for himself, while he has previously made the Hajj. Then he decided to change his intention for his relative while in 'Arafah. So what is the ruling regarding this and is it permissible?

A person, if he enters the state of ihram for Hajj for himself, cannot change the intention after that, neither en route nor in 'Arafah nor any other place. Rather, it is imperative he completes the Hajj for himself and does not change it for his father nor his mother and nor anyone else. Rather, the Hajj is specific for him (now) for the saying of Allah:

{and complete Hajj and 'Umrah for (the Sake of) Allah}.

So, if he enters the state of ihram for himself, it is obligatory he complete it for himself. If he enters the state of ihram for other than himself, then it is obligatory that he completes for other than himself and does not change (the intention) once he enters the state of ihram. And with Allah lies all success and may Allah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (peace be upon him) and his family and his companions.

--
The Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Fatawa
Fatawa al-Hajj wal-'Umrah waz-Ziyarah - Page 27

Appointing an Amir During Hajj Journey
Question#84

Is our appointing an amir ("group" leader) during our Hajj journey permissible or not?

It is legislated for a group while traveling, if they are three or more that they appoint an amir from amongst themselves. It is mentioned in the Sunan of Abu Dawud on the authority of Abu Sa'id al-Khudri that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

((If three depart on a journey, then one of them must lead them (i.e. be the amir))), [Abu Dawud - Volume 3, Page 81, Hadith Reference: 2608; al-Bayhaqi- Volume 5, Page 257; al-Baghawi in Sharhus-Sunnah - Volume 11, Page 23, Hadith Reference: 2676].

And with that they should combine their issues and should not be divided in their decisions and nor should there be conflict between them. And with Allah lies all success and may Allah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (peace be upon him) and his family and his companions.

--
Member: Shaykh' Abdullah ibn Ghudayyaan
Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Daimah lil-Buhuth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Ifta. - Volume 11, Page 110, Question 1 of Fatwa No.12084

Arguing During Hajj
Question#85

If there occurred some argument/quarrel between a man and his companions during Hajj, is his Hajj correct/sound and will it be rewarded even if it was his obligatory (first) Hajj?

His Hajj is correct/sound and will (insha'Allah) be rewarded as his obligatory (first Hajj), however, his reward will be reduced according to the severity of the ugly argument/quarrel which took place. So it is upon him to repent (to Allah) for that, as Allah says:

{And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful}, [Surah an-Nur, Ayah 31].

And with Allah lies all success and may Allah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (peace be upon him) and his family and his companions.

--
Member: Shaykh' Abdullah ibn Ghudayyaan;
Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Daimah lil-Buhuth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Ifta. - Volume 11, Page 112, Question 2 of Fatwa No.9892

Advice to Those Having Performed the Hajj
Question#86

What is your advice to the one who has performed the obligatory (first) Hajj?

My advice is that he should fear Allah (and be aware of Him) in performing all that which Allah has obligated upon him in terms of other acts of worship such as salah, zakah, fasting, honouring the parents, enjoining family ties and being good to the creation (of Allah) and to the animals under ones ownership and other than this from that which Allah has commanded with. That which encompasses all of this is the statement of Allah:

{Verily, Allah enjoins al-'Adl (justice) and al-Ihsan (being patient in performing one's duties to Allah), and giving (help) to kith and kin: and forbids al-Fahsha. (all evil deeds), and al-Munkar (all that is prohibited), and al-Baghi (all kinds of oppression), He admonishes you, that you may take heed. And fulfill the Covenant of Allah (Bay'ah: pledge for Islam) when you have covenanted, and break not the oaths after you have confirmed them, and indeed you have appointed Allah your surety. Verily! Allah knows what you do}, [Surah an-Nahl, Ayah's 90-91].

--
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymin
Dalil al-Akhta'a yaqa'a fiha al-Haj wal-Mu'tamir wat-tahdthir minhaa - Page 117

Donating Saved Money Instead of Going to Hajj
Question#87

If someone has saved up money to perform their very first Hajj, would it be better to donate this money to our Muslim Brothers and Sisters in Chechnya or go ahead and perform the Hajj?

The Noble Shaykh (hafitha-hullah) briefly responded by saying it is better to perform the (first) Hajj which is obligatory upon the person.

The Signs of an Accepted Hajj or 'Umrah
Question#88

Are there any signs which appear upon those whose performance of the Hajj or the 'Umrah is accepted?

It is possible for there to be signs for the one whose Hajj, fasting, charity or prayer has been accepted by Allah and they are: the opening of the heart (to good), happiness of the heart and a lighted face. Certainly, for worshipping (Allah) there are signs that appear on the body, signs that are visible and signs that are hidden. Some of the Pious Predecessors have mentioned that from the signs that a good (act) has been accepted (by Allah) is that he will be granted the towfiq to do (yet) another good (act). Certainly the towfiq of Allah for him to do more good (acts) after it, is evidence that Allah has accepted his previous good (acts). He has made it easy for him to do another good act and is happy with him for it.

--
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymin
Dalil al-Akhta'a yaqa'a fiha al-Haj wal-Mu'tamir wat-tahdthir minhaa - Page 115

Made 'Umrah in the Months of Hajj, Then Left Mecca & Came Back Some Time Later
Question#89

Somebody comes for 'Umrah in the months of Hajj like Dhul-Qa'dah, then he goes out of Mecca to Madinah and stays there until the time of Hajj. Is it obligatory upon him to perform Tamattu' or has he to choose any one of the three types of Hajj?

There is no obligation upon him to perform Tamattu'. He may put on ihram for another 'Umrah if he wishes, and becomes Mutamatti', according to those scholars who are of the opinion that the Tamattu' ends by traveling. He would be Mutamatti' by this new 'Umrah, and it would be obligatory upon him to sacrifice an animal, according to the opinion of all scholars. When he puts on ihram for 'Umrah coming from Madinah and afterwards he performs the rites of Hajj, he would become Mutamatti'. Otherwise, if he wishes, he may return from Madinah for Hajj only. There is a point of dispute among the scholars, in such a case, as to whether he has to sacrifice an animal or not. The correct opinion is that he has to sacrifice an animal, as the traveling to Madinah does not break his Tamattu', according to the most correct opinion.

--
Shaykh Ibn Baz
Fatawa Muhimmah tata'allaq bil-Hajj wal-'Umrah - Page 14, Fatwa No.2

The Year in Which the Hajj Began
Question#90

What is the correct opinion concerning the Hijri year in which the Hajj began (was legislated)?

The scholars have differed as to which year the Hajj was obligated. So, it is said in the fifth year, and it is said in the sixth year, and it is said in the ninth year and it is said in the tenth year. And the closest to that which is correct are the last two opinions and that it was either obligated in the ninth year or the tenth year. And with Allah lies all the success, and may Allah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his family and his companions.

--
Member: Shaykh' Abdullah ibn Ghudayyaan;
Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Daimah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Volume 11, Page 10, Fatwa No.4624