I was working at a high end restaurant, it was Saturday afternoon towards the end of my shift and I had plans for Saturday night. I was ready to close out my tables and get home.

A man came in alone, mid thirties, sat at a table for four facing the ocean. He was in a t-shirt, khaki shorts, and sandals. I had the option of giving up the table to finish my shift and go home but I figured he would be low maintenance, probably only be there for 20 minutes and even if he just ordered a salad and a water I would still make a quick easy 5 bucks.

He sat, he ordered an app and a water. Easy peazy.

A friend joined him. They ordered a couple cocktails off of the list and another app.

A professionally dressed woman joined them. They ordered a few more cocktails and a couple more apps.

Then some good news came through, he had just closed on his multi-million dollar house down the street. (I was working at a restaurant on a very expensive island off the coast of South Florida).

The woman who joined them was his Realtor.

To celebrate, they ordered a $3,500 bottle of Bordeaux.

They stayed. They drank. They ordered about $800 worth of lobster, stone claws, and steak.

The bill came to $4,500. He tipped me $2,000 and raved about my service to anyone who would listen.

Since he now had a place down the street, he came in often. He would ask for me every time. Every visit after his first appearance he spent about $30. He would order one cocktail and a half portion of his favorite pasta dish (which we didn’t offer, but tip me $2k once and I’ll find a way). He would tip 20% on his credit card and leave me $50 in cash if he was alone or $100 if he brought a guest.

Any body in a seat is a good body. Someone sitting down to spend $5 or $10 is better than an empty seat.

You never know who that person is or what their value will be over time. Treat everyone like they’re a big spender.

Even if they don’t have the money to be there, they’re splitting an entree and having water, but they wanted to celebrate something in a nice location. Maybe they’ve saved to spend an anniversary or birthday there. Give them the best experience of their life.