The best way of preparing the heart to receive divine gifts is purification and repentance. It has been narrated: “Seek much forgiveness from Allah in Rajab because in every hour (of the month) Allah frees people from the Fire.” {Narrated by al-Daylami}

For this reason the scholars say that Rajab is the month of seeking forgiveness, Sha`ban is the month of bestowing prayers upon the Prophet, and Ramadan is the month of the Qur’an. Thus it is recommended to seek much forgiveness in Rajab. Some of the scholars compiled special formulae of istighfar especially for Rajab, among them Habib Hasan, the son of Imam `Abdullah bin `Alawi al-Haddad.

In Tarim the following formula is read 70 times in congregation immediately after the `Isha Prayer every night in Rajab. The one reading it raises his hands while doing so:

Transliteration: “Rabbi ‘ghfir lī w’ arhamnī wa tub `alayya.”
Translation: “Oh Allah forgive me, have mercy upon me, and grant me repentance.”{Narrated by Wahb bin Munnabih who said that if someone reads this every morning and evening in Rajab the Fire will not touch his skin. }