SHAREHOLIC
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Urdu Tehzeb, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.

+ Reply to Thread
    + Post New Thread

Thread: Sufi Biography: Ebrahim ibn Adham

The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it. Admin CaLmInG MeLoDy's Avatar
      Threads
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,367 Times in 868 Posts
      Mentioned
      1038 Post(s)
      Tagged
      7966 Thread(s)

Pen Sufi Biography: Ebrahim ibn Adham

Abu Eshaq Ebrahim ibn Adham, born in Balkh of pure Arab descent, is described in Sufi legend as a prince who renounced his kingdom (somewhat after the fashion of the Buddha) and wandered westwards to live a life of complete asceticism, earning his bread in Syria by honest manual toil until his death in c. 165 (782). Some accounts state that he was killed on a naval expedition against Byzantium. The story of his conversion is a classic of Muslim hagiography.
      The legend of Ebrahim ibn Adham
      Ebrahim ibn Adham’s saintly er began in the following manner. He was king of Balkh, and a whole
      world was under his command; forty gold swords and forty gold maces were carried before and behind him.

One night he was asleep on his royal couch. At midnight the roof of the apartment vibrated, as if someone was walking on the roof.

“Who is there?” he shouted.
      “A friend,” came the reply. “I have lost a camel, and am searching for it on this roof.”
      “Fool, do you look for the camel on the roof?” cried Ebrahim.
      “Heedless one,” answered the voice, “do you seek for God in silken clothes, asleep on a golden couch?”

These words filled his heart with terror. A fire blazed within him, and he could not sleep any more.

When day came he returned to the dais and sat on his throne, thoughtful, bewildered and full of . The ministers of state stood each in his place; his slaves were drawn up in serried ranks. General audience was proclaimed.

Suddenly a man with aweful mien entered the chamber, so terrible to look upon that none of the royal retinue and servants dared ask him his name; the tongues of all c to their throats. He advanced solemnly till he stood before the throne.

“What do you want?” demanded Ebrahim.
      “I have just alighted at this caravanserai,” said the man.
      “This is not a caravanserai. This is my palace. You are mad,” shouted Ebrahim.
      “Who owned this palace before you?” asked the man.
      “My father,” Ebrahim replied.
      “And before him?”
      “My grandfather.”
      “And before him?”
      “So-and-so.”
      “And before him?”
      “The father of So-and-so.”
      “Where have they all departed?” asked the man.
      “They have gone. They are dead,” Ebrahim replied.
      “Then is this not a caravanserai which one man enters and another leaves?”
      With these words the stranger vanished. He was Khezr, upon whom be peace. The fire blazed more
      fiercely still in Ebrahim’s soul, and the anguish within him increased. Visions by day followed the hearing of voices by night, equally mysterious and incomprehensible.

“Saddle my horse,” Ebrahim cried at last. “I will go to the hunt. I know not what this thing is that has come upon me today. Lord God, how will this affair end?”

His horse was saddled and he proceeded to the chase. Headlong he galloped across the desert; it was as if he knew not what he was doing. In that state of bewilderment he became separated from his troops. On the way he suddenly heard a voice. “Awake!”

He pretended not to have heard, and rode on. A second time the voice came, but he heeded it not. A third time he heard the same, and hurled himself farther away. Then the voice sounded a fourth time.

“Awake, before you are stricken awake!”
      He now lost all self-control. At that instant a deer started up, and Ebrahim prepared to give chase.

The deer spoke to him. “I have been sent to hunt you. You cannot catch me. Was it for this that you were created, or is this what you were commanded?”

“Ah, what is this that has come upon me?” Ebrahim cried.

And he turned his face from the deer. He thereupon heard the same words issuing from the pommel of his saddle. Terror and fear possessed him. The revelation became clearer yet, for Almighty God willed to complete the transaction. A third time the selfsame voice proceeded from the collar of his cloak. The revelation was thus complete, and the heavens were opened unto him. Sure faith was now established in him. He dismounted; all his garments, and the horse itself, were dripping with his tears. He made true and sincere repentance. Turning aside from the road, he saw a shepherd wearing felt clothes and a hat of felt, driving his sheep before him. Looking closely, he saw that he was a slave of his. He bestowed on him his gold embroidered cloak and bejewelled cap, together with
      the sheep, and took from him his clothes and hat of felt. These he donned himself. All the angelic hosts stood gazing on Ebrahim.

“What a kingdom has come to the son of Adham,” he cried. “He has cast away the filthy garments of the world, and has donned the glorious robes of poverty.”

Even so he proceeded on foot to wander over mountains and endless deserts, lamenting over his sins, until he came to Merv. There he saw a man who had fallen from the bridge and was about to perish, swept away by the river.

Ebrahim shouted from afar. “O God, preserve him!” The man remained suspended in the air until helpers arrived and drew him up. They were astonished at Ebrahim.“What man is this?” they cried.

Ebrahim departed from that place, and marched on to Nishapur. There he searched for a desolate corner where he might busy himself with obedience to God. In the end he hit upon the famous cave where he dwelt for nine years, three years in each apartment. Who knows what occupied him there through the nights and days?

For it needed a mighty man of uncommon substance to be able to be there alone by night.
      Every Thursday he would climb above the cavern and collect a bundle of firewood. Next morning he
      would set out, for Nishapur and there sell the brushwood. Having performed the Friday prayers, he would buy bread with the money he had gained, give half to a beggar and use half himself to break his fast. So he did every week.

One winter’s night he was in that apartment. It was extremely cold, and he had to break the ice to wash. All night he shivered, praying through till dawn. By dawn he was in danger of perishing from the cold. By chance the thought ` of a fire entered his mind. He saw a fur on the ground. Wrapping himself up in the fur, he fell asleep. When he awoke it was -broad daylight, and he had become warm. He looked, and saw that the fur was a dragon, its eyes saucers of blood. A mighty terror
      came upon him. “Lord God,” he cried, “You send this thing unto me in a shape of gentleness. Now I see it in a dreadful form. I cannot endure it.” Immediately the dragon moved away, twice or thrice rubbed its face in the ground before him, and vanished.